Saturday, November 30, 2013

A TWISTED ANKLE

I have always been accident prone and it continues into my 40's.  I have this habit of sitting on one foot, or sitting cross legged.  I know in my mind this is not good for me or my posture.  I always end up with my foot going to sleep, then I get up and try to walk.  This is not good to do when you can't feel your foot.
I get up and try to walk and I end up twisting my ankle like I did just a couple of days ago.  OUCH! 


Luckily, I had this great nerve blend that I have been using on my back and right foot for the last three months that has help with my foot drop.  I will get into that at a later time, but I can tell you that the nerve blend has helped tremendously for this condition, but I knew the Essential Oils in it would help with this new injury. 

Immediately after I twisted my ankle, after I got over that knot in my stomach, I had my husband bring me this rub from my bedroom.  I use the Whipped Body Lotion as my base for this blend, or you can use a standard salve recipe. 

In a 4oz jar of Whipped Body Lotion or Salve I mix the following
15 drops of Helichrysum-Anti Inflammatory, Regenerative, Tissue Healing, Reduce Bruising
10 drops of Geranium-Anti-inflammatory, astringent, antibacterial, anti-fungal, haemostatic (stops bleeding)
8 drops of Majoram-Anti-Spasmodic, nerveine (nerve tonic), analgesic
6 drops of Cypress-Anti-infectious, anti-bacterial, and antimicrobial; supportive to the circulatory system. 
5 drops of Peppermint-Cooling affect and helps with blood flow
2 drops of Clove-Antiseptic & Antibiotic. Used in Tiger Balm and offers pain relief by offering a little cooling and numbing action toward the area of pain.  This should be omitted if you are using blood thinners. 
2 of drops of Lemon-Aesthetic

Then I immediately follow up with the R.I.C.E method
SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IF YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO PUT WEIGHT ON IT! 


I usually repeat the gentle massage with the lotion 2-3 times a day.  Since using this, I have not had any bruising and the pain has not been as bad as it has in the past. 
I highly recommend that you see a well trained physical therapist soon after, so they can help you get your strength back into your ankle and possibly help keep this from happening in the future.  
Most health insurance companies do not require a referral for a physical therapist.  Do your research though, you will want to find a sports therapist that is willing to work with you.  If you are in the Colorado, Denver Metro Area, I highly recommend Impact Sports Medicine.  

Again, if you are not able to put weight on it or see any kind of malformation as indicated in a break, seek medical attention.  

I recommend having this Essential oil blend made before hand.  If you don't have it on hand, you can add a blend of Helichrysum and Cypress, equal parts neat directly to the area before wrapping it, then have somebody make the blend for you. 





Essential Oils I use are from 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!