Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fried Jicama!! Instead of French Fries!


My family has always been a fan of anything potato.
  My weakness was always a certain fast food chains french fries..we will just call them the M place.   I couldn't get enough of them. 
It was no wonder I was so unhealthy and overweight. 
But since my decision to get healthy, I have been finding healthy substitutes for a lot of foods that I use to eat and feed my family.  

A great alternative to potato is.......

JICAMA!!!!! 


With my husband being diabetic, I wanted to find an alternative, plus I wanted to cut back on the starches and the sugars that I was eating.  

I have always LOVED raw Jicama to snack on or in a salad, but to cook it?  Really? 
YES YOU CAN and it tastes GREAT!

I searched around and found a few "Paleo" recipes for baked Jicama Fries.  You simply cut up a Jicama, making sure to cut off the skin, then put in a bag with some Parmesan, garlic salt and olive oil and shake.  Put them on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes, flipping them over half way through. 
One thing I will tell you is that because of the water content, Jicama does NOT crisp up very well, but they still taste really good. 

But I wanted to try something that didn't take quite as long, plus I love to experiment with my cooking.  
Well now, my husband actually begs me for Jicama fries or chips. 

So here is how I cook Jicama Fries. 

First thing I do is to cut them up and steam them to get them softened up.  I steam them with the other veggies that we are having that night. 


Then I put enough Grapeseed Oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet.  Why do I use Grapeseed Oil?  Because it is healthier for you than Vegetable Oil and it has a high smoking point so you can fry in it! 
So I fry them up on a medium high heat until they are golden brown on the bottoms. 

Then I flip them over and let them finish cooking on the other side. 
 They will get a little crispy, but not like a french fry, but oh, they are so good! 

Take them out of the oil and place them on a paper towel to get the oil off. 
Sprinkle with Sea Salt, then enjoy!!!  

They are really good dipped in anything! 


So you want to know how healthy they are for you compared to a potato? 
Take a look at this! 



It is one of the finest source dietary fiber and excellent source of oligofructose inulin, a soluble dietary fiber. The root pulp provides 4.9 mg or 13% of fiber. Inulin is a zero calorie, sweet inert carbohydrate and does not metabolize in the human body, which make the root an ideal sweet snack for diabetics and dieters.


Just TRY it!  You never know, you might like it!  I am married to one of the pickiest eaters on the planet and he LOVES IT!


Have a HEALTHY AND HAPPY DAY! 

Lisa 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!